Saturday, October 30, 2010

Podcasting

This was an interesting lesson to look at. I have heard of podcasting before, but not in an educational sense. My youger sister subscribes to some, and when I go visit she will show me some of them. They are all entertainment based. One thing I didn't know is that you can download podcasts to other devices than a computer. I thought that was very interesting and that it brought a new light to what can be done with podcasts.
 
In regards to what we have learned about social media, I feel as thought podcasting definitley has some of the qualities. It is a way to communicate with a very large group of people. This is one similarity that everything we have discussed so far has in common. You can subscribe and or create to different podcast which is another similarity. I think the fact that it is not limited to computers would be a difference; however, I think it still fits under a social media category.
 
I do own a basic iPod, and I really only use it as a devise to listen to music while I workout. I had never thought about it in this sense. It would be fantastic to be able to listen to a podcast from a class while I workout. I think that all of the information we learned in regards to using podcasting in the classroom (whether from computers or media players), was very very helpful. It provided some really neat insight. I think it would be a great tool to maybe create notes or lectures for students to go back and listen to if they are having trouble comprehending the first time, or missed a lesson. I also think it could be as an assessment, for students to create their own and discuss what they are learning. I believe that podcasting, along with all of the other tools, are fantastic supplemental ideas. I don't think we should ever rely solely on one type of communication. Students still need to build face to face communication and physical reading and writing skills. Some of that is limited with podcasting. However, I still believe it is a fantastic tool to use as a supplement to the classroom.
 
Reference:
Podcasting in English. You Tube video. Posted on E college (TAMU- Commerce). 2010

Jonassen, David. Meaningful Learning with Technology. Third Edition.Pgs 159-161.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the idea of listening to a podcast from a class while working out. It would be a good supplement for studying. It's a great way to multi task. I also thin that students and people need to build communication skills, I think if podcasting is used in the right way, then it will be very useful.

    ReplyDelete